Friday, October 05, 2012


1922 HASHWAYS

The other night I went to an NA meeting with my friend Pat.

It’s basically the meeting for Drug addicts- based on the 12 step program.

My friend sponsors his own meeting- and also attends and is real active in the group.

Before I came to Jersey [this visit] I was in touch with my friend John David [heart surgery] and he has been wanting to open up a half way house in C.C.

I also picked up [by accident] a book defending the 12 step program from a Christian perspective.


All in all I have been learning/reading on the 12 step program.


But this was my first actual meeting- so I was looking forward to it.


It was a really good format- from the things I have read/seen- the key to success is the basic principle- found in the bible- that says ‘confess your faults one to another and pray one for another that you may be healed’. [James]

The meetings are times/places where people share- they speak about their struggles- their victories- and others see that some have been clean for many years- 20-30 or more.


When an addict sees another ‘addict’- who has ‘overcome the mark of the beast and the number of his name’ [Revelation] he then sees that there are indeed a whole company of people who have come thru this- and are on the other side- clean.


All of these things are biblical principles.

As I sat in the meeting- I had an interesting experience.

The table in front of my chair had the names of some of the local restaurants written on them.

I’m not sure why- maybe they support the meetings- the meeting was held in the old Catholic church- Our Lady of Fatima- that I attended for CCD classes as a kid.


The church is a couple of blocks from my old Elementary school- Horace Mann- and I used to walk over every day for class.


The NA meeting was in the same part of the church that my CCD classes were in.


So- after 34 years- I found myself- for the first time- back in the old class.


I had a friend/schoolmate back in those days.

His name was Glenn Hashway.


His parents own a deli- famous- right down the block.


I have heard that Glenn has been an addict for many years.

A friend of mine was in jail with him one year- he didn’t know I knew him- but I did.


From what I heard- he was in big trouble- looking at many years in prison- if he made bail he was going to try and leave the country type of thing.


So- this was his story.


On the table in front of me- the name of the restaurant/deli that was written- was ‘Hashways’.

Yea- it just so happened that this was the spot where his family had the name of their deli.


Sad story for my old friend- seeing how his life turned out.

Today I’m supposed to make a trip to NYC- I need to check my phone for messages.

I can do the trip on my own- but it’s been so many years- I don’t know all the right subways and buses to catch.

So Patrick is supposed to go with me.


I did want to say a few words about the debate- it has been such a hot political issue- and I do talk about that stuff.


But- on this trip I’m trying to avoid too much politics.

I took a ride yesterday afternoon down to Jersey City- got out at a park on the corner of Manhattan Ave and Kennedy Blvd.

Yeah- not really the best spot to hang out when you’re from out of state.

But I wanted to just walk around the area.

As I walked thru the park- I asked some guy sitting on a bench ‘what’s the name of this park’?

He told me ‘Persian field’.

Now- I know it’s not Persian- like Asian [or at least I don’t think things have changed that much!]

But at the entrance of the park I saw a statue to some war hero or something- I assume the name is Pershing- you know- some past war guy type thing.

Anyway- I walked thru the park taking some pictures.

Some kids hanging out and all- wondering why I was taking pictures.

I talk one of a little blue bag- small- you could fit about 3 aspirins in it.


It was a Crack bag- empty.

I saw 2 more while walking around- wasn’t even looking for them.


I saw some nice animal statues and a few squirrels.

I continued the ride- went down past journal square- and went a few more miles- came back on Tonnele ave.

Passed the old Pulaski Skyway- and saw my 2nd homeless guy- begging for money on the road.

I usually don’t give the guys with signs any money- but being I haven’t seen too many- I gave him 5 bucks.

Yeah- the old area looks okay- still worn and torn after many years.

Sort of like an old war horse- battle scarred but keeps on going.

I read a verse in John chapter 17 this morning.

Jesus said ‘ Ihave revealed your name to the men that you gave to me out of the world’.

I have read this chapter many times over the years.

Jesus speaks about the desire for unity in the church.

He talks about his disciples as the special people God brought to him along the journey.


I have run into a few already- I’m trying to hear God- to speak and connect to the ones that he’ gave me ‘out of the world’ –or ‘from New Jersey’.

Yeah- there are always at least a few- people who are too on a journey- and it’s important for us [you and me] to speak the right words- to communicate the Father [God] to them.


At the end of the day- that’s what lasts.

Note- Do me a favor, those who read/like the posts- re-post them on other sites as well as the site you read them on. Thanks- John. Don’t forget to scroll down on the timeline [Facebook] - I have posted lots.







No comments:

Post a Comment