Friday, June 08, 2012


1849- SHREK- A CITY- AND WATER FROM A ROCK





I want to end the week with at least some bible stuff- but let me share a few more homeless stories.

I have been getting with the guys the past few days and have not written about it every time.

A few notable things.

I heard that Chris- a homeless friend for many years- drove to Louisiana with another friend [a former ship captain- a Greek].

And Chris actually got a machinists job making 15 bucks an hour.

I was happy to hear the great news.

I have written about Chris before- he always told me he was a machinist- I think from the classic Youngstown area [Ohio- Springsteen’s famous song].

One day I had Chris over at the house.

My dad gave me these antique boxes of his father’s machinist tools many years ago.

As I kid I used to go thru the boxes in my garage [for any of my old friends who read the site- do you remember these tools?]

So when Chris saw them- he knew them like a carpenter knows a hammer.

So I knew he wasn’t making the whole ‘I’m a machinist’ thing up.

But I also could tell that Chris- like most of the street guys- has some type of mental problem.

So I never knew if he really was as good as he made it sound.  But after hearing that he got hired- I was glad.

Dirk [another long time friend- a good friend] has been messing with the radiator on his van the last few days.

He lives in the van- I see it parked in the various parking lots on a rotating basis.

Dirk claims to be ‘a winter Texan’ sort of like he’s a retired tourist guy.

But the truth is- he is homeless- has been for years.

Anyway- he needed a ride to the other side of town to buy a new radiator- I obliged.

Henry went with us- Henry loves the fellowship- he’s the scholar friend- homeless too- but he picks my brain lots.

Dirk offered to give me 5 bucks for gas- it was about a 10 mile trek.

But I told him ‘no way’.

About half way back- he realizes he left his cell phone at the shop.

I was like ‘how did you do that- I never put my cell phone on a table at a store- when I’m done- it goes in my pocket’.

Any way- I told Dirk ‘don’t worry- we’ll get it’.

I kinda felt like taking the 5 bucks now- but let it slide [I have been giving the guys change from 20’s the last couple of weeks- I try to ‘spread the wealth around’ Obama style!]

Yesterday I helped Tammy [I do usually give Tammy a few dollars every time I see her].

Tammy is a ‘working girl’.

Her and her boyfriend [Shrek] are Meth addicts.

It’s funny- I have been giving Tammy a few dollars for years.

Someone gave her a girls bike yesterday- but she had to pick it up [a lady at the mission gave it to her for some yard work she did- Tammy was going to give it to a friend’s daughter for an upcoming birthday].

So I told Tammy ‘I’ll pick it up for you and put it in the truck’.

She was going to walk over and ride it home [home- her and Shrek are staying in some broken down trailer].

I do realize it looks like I’m a ‘customer’ I mean I give the girl dollars- and then a ride.

I don’t really care to be honest- but I do see how people could talk.

Anyway- when we dropped the bike off- I saw Shrek [he’s a big kid- around 35 years’ old- 300 lbs].

He’s really a nice kid.

I gave him and Tammy a nice tent once.

They were living in the brush at the time and the tent was a 2 person size- a nice one I bought from wal mart.

They never forgot that.

Shrek was glad to see me- it’s been a while.

Okay- let me cover Deuteronomy chapter 4.

I have been reading it this week [it was a chapter from the Mass this past Sunday].

Moses is going over the story of the Jewish people right before they enter the Promised Land.

He tells them that God did a great work by leading them out of Egypt and being with them all this time.

A few points.

Moses tells them that God was angry with him and because of this he will not ‘go in and take the land’.

This 'anger’ moment was when God told Moses to speak to the Rock when the people were complaining of thirst.

For you ‘non bible readers’ this would be when Charlton Hesston delivered the people form Egypt and they went thru the Red sea and were in the wilderness.

At various times Moses loses his temper with the Jewish people.

This Rock incident was the one time God said ‘okay- that’s it Moses- you blew it one too many times- you can’t go in to the land’.

Moses was to speak to the Rock and water would come out.

He got mad- and struck the Rock- twice- with his famous rod.

The water came out.

Which was a type of ‘God striking the Rock’ [Jesus was punished for us on the Cross- Isaiah 53 says it pleased THE LORD to bruise him- God punished his Son on our behalf- Jesus was ‘the rock’ that the water flowed from [a symbol of the Holy Spirit]. On the Cross a soldier put a spear in the side of Jesus and water came out].

So the striking of the rock was a symbol that God would use- but striking it twice ruined the symbol.

The book of Hebrews says Jesus was struck only once for sin- not repeatedly.

So because of this Moses could not go in to the land.

Okay- to my bible scholars out there- I found a verse where Moses makes it into the land.

What?

No trick [not really].

Okay- when?

In the New Testament Jesus was transfigured before the disciples- the Mount of Transfiguration.

At the time the bible says Moses and Elijah appeared with him.

Of course- they were in the Promised Land at the time.

One more thing from this chapter.

It also talks about the cities of refuge.

These were cities [3] that God set aside- if someone accidently killed another person they could flee to the city for safety.

At the time- if you killed someone- the family of the dead person had the right to ‘avenge the blood’ of their relative.

But if it was an accident- you could run to the ‘city of refuge’ and find safety.

You had to live in the city until the death of the high priest.

After he died- you could go back home.

Meaning?

The 'city of refuge’ is a type of the church- the community of God [not the building!].

We are all guilty of the innocent Blood of Jesus [he died for us].

We can ‘flee to the city of refuge’ and find safety from our guilt- as long as the high priest lives [Hebrews/Romans says we are saved by his life- he lives].

We also can ‘inherit the promise’ enter back into the land- after ‘he dies’.

Jesus died- and rose again- so we too could partake of the true inheritance- not a ‘city made with hands- but an eternal one in the heavens’ Hebrews.

Got it?








Note- Do me a favor, those who read/like the posts- re-post them on other sites as well as the site you read them on. Thanks- John. Don’t forget to ‘click’ the note App on my Facebook Profile- I have posted lots.







No comments:

Post a Comment