Thursday, October 18, 2012


1930 FRIEND OF SINNERS

Yesterday was the first time I saw my street friends since I’ve been back.

I did need to see the guys [girls] to take care of a few things.


One of the guys did call me when I was in N.J.- and he had an issue- I did not have time to talk so I had to cut him off.



He has been a good friend for years- but to be honest- he is also a violent guy- big guy- and that has gotten him into trouble before.

I have never gotten ‘into it’ with him- but over the years I have had a few times where I had to let him know he couldn’t pull that stuff on me- I wouldn’t go for it.


So- being I basically hung up on him a couple of weeks ago- and it had to do with me talking with his girl [that’s why he has most of his fights- because he is jealous] I figured I better see him…so- as soon as I got to the mission I saw his van parked in the lot- doors open- he lives in the thing.


I walked up and let him know I was back.


Of course he wanted to know what happened when I talked to Julie.



When I left he was stranded in some forest about 600 miles from here- and that’s the last I knew.


I told my friend that we had a good talk- she did accuse him of some stuff [being gay] and he has also said the same about her.


So- as she was making the accusation- I laughed- because I told her he has done the same thing- accused her when he was mad- and I told her I take these things with a grain of salt- and even if it were true- he is still a good friend- either way.


So- that’s what needed to be settled.



My friend simply was worried about the way I viewed him- he thought that because of some stuff she said that maybe I was going to cut him off.


I told him ‘I have been your friend for 25 years- everybody has past issues- I told Julie even if all this stuff were true- he is still my friend’.



He got into a few more things about his past- and started crying- I guess he always feared I would cut him off if I knew.


I told him it did not matter- we are friends.


As I sat at the mission- I saw a few of the guys and caught up on some stuff.


My friend Don- who cares for the garden- he has the fall garden going real good [posted the pics last night].


And I saw Albert- I did not recognize him at first- so I kinda responded in a ‘mean’ way.


When you’re at spots like this- in the open- you have to be careful- sometimes if someone is looking at you- from a distance- and he starts heading your way- they might be getting ready to jump you.


So- I have not seen Albert in 5 years- I had no idea who he was- but he’s walking my way- looking at me- as an old friend.


But- as he got closer- I was ready to stand up and get in his face- then I recognized him [if you just sit down- and someone is coming to jump you- you will get hurt bad].

So- after I saw it was him- I said hi.


I met Albert about 5 years back- he is gay and had a Black boyfriend at the time.


If I remember- they both had some type of a Christian background [families were preacher’s type thing].


I felt funny a few times- they asked me to pray for them- and of course I did.



So- Albert had a guitar and sang a few of his original songs.


One song was a country type thing- and it was a love song [country- so he lost the truck- the dog got killed- you know- country themes!]

But I recognized the words from the bible- Corinthians chapter 13- the love chapter.


When he was done- I told him ‘Corinthians 13’.

He was surprised I knew it- he said ‘I got the words from there- how did you know?’


To be honest- it’s a famous chapter- most bible readers would know.



Its funny- a day or 2 ago I heard/read a verse about reaching out to the poor- the needy.

It says ‘when you help the poor- do it with love- do it cheerfully’.


I wrote it down as a reminder- that it’s important to really love your friends- they appreciate getting help [I gave away some money this day] but they want real friends who will love them like brothers.


I had just written the verse down- and then heard it sung by one of them.


Yeah- my friend wanted to know that what I heard about him- even if it were true- would not break the friendship.


That’s what meant the most to him.


I guess the bible is right ‘Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers- because he too suffered from the same things they suffered with’ [Hebrews].


Jesus was able to identify with people- he walked in their shoes.

Yeah- that counts.

Note- Do me a favor, those who read/like the posts- re-post them on other sites as well as the site you read them on. Thanks- John. Don’t forget to scroll down on the timeline [Facebook] - I have posted lots.







No comments:

Post a Comment