Sunday, October 07, 2012


1923 ROCKAWAY




Okay- there are lots of good stories to tell on this trip- but I’m trying to keep them short.

Let’s do the NYC trip today [do=tell].

The other day I took a trip to the city with Patrick—an old friend I met about 12 years ago- he was my ‘tour guide’.

I haven’t been to the city in many years- and I have no idea what buses/trains to take.

Pat knows all the routes.

So we took this nice route that lets you see all the famous areas- from the top of the rail road tracks.

We got off at the last [and final! For you Pat] stop on the A train- Rockaway.

This is the Queens section of the city- Howard Beach- Gotti’s club- you know- the ‘famous’ spots.

As we walked to Pats brothers’ house- he told me the story of his family.

Pat grew up in somewhat of a dysfunctional home- like most of us have.

His parents died early on- and he had this older brother that he never really knew- 20 years his senior.

So- one year Pat made an attempt to find him- he looked him up in the phone book and tracked the house.

As Pats brother came home- Pat was on the steps- blocking his way- he said ‘can you move- you’re in my way’- and that was the reunion.

Pat told me that his brother was an addict for many years as well- he used to see him sleeping on the subway stop- he would give him a few dollars if he had it.

After many years- his brother finally got clean- and married a great Christian lady- Veronica.

I met them both on the trip this day.

We hung out most of the day at Pat’s brothers place- we had a good time- we were helping Veronica hook up to Facebook and stuff.

She has a nice computer- but needed help getting everything working- you know- most people are not experts like myself [okay- maybe not- this trip was the first time I ‘texted’].

It was funny- after I helped her hook up to Facebook- and Pat was helping her get the phone hooked in as well.

I said ‘that’s it Veronica- you’re in- now all that happens is you get a bill for 50 each month’.

At that point she looked at me- yeah- you could tell she’s a real New Yorker [of course I was kidding].

On the way back to Manhattan- I took a few more pics from the rail- and me and Pat had some good time fellowshipping.

Pat now sponsors a couple of guys thru the NA [narcotics anonymous].

He got a call from one of the guys while we were waiting for the train to leave.

It was a learning experience- to see how the group works along biblical lines.


The last time I saw Pat was about 8 years back- Pat was hooked and you could tell.

Pat overdosed real bad a few years ago- I got a call and they told me he might have died- he was in the hospital and I put him on the web site and asked for prayer.


Pat pulled thru- but he messed up his leg real bad- he walks with a very bad limp- but he never complains.


This week I have been reading John 17- it’s the famous prayer of Jesus [besides the Our father]

Jesus says ‘for their sakes I sanctify myself- that they too might be sanctified thru the truth’.

Sanctify means separate.

Jesus was saying he set himself apart to do God’s will- he did this so others too might be free.

The example from my friend Pat- and his brother- and a few other people I have met on this trip- is one where people got to the end of the road [last AND final stop].

They lived many years in bondage to things- Jesus said ‘whoever commits sin becomes the slave of sin’.

These have learned what that means.

And they got to a point where they had enough- they have now ‘separated themselves so others too could be free’.


Yeah- my Rockaway trip was a real learning experience- in more ways than one.

Note- Do me a favor, those who read/like the posts- re-post them on other sites as well as the site you read them on. Thanks- John. Don’t forget to scroll down on the timeline [Facebook] - I have posted lots.







No comments:

Post a Comment