Wednesday, July 18, 2012


1876- THE SPEED OF LIGHT

Wasn’t sure which way to go- but this morning I was walking in my yard [I get up real early!] and I thought about the story of the Unjust Judge.

It’s a parable that Christ told- I actually haven’t read it in a while- but remember it pretty well.

Jesus said in this city there was a widow who went to this judge- the judge did not ‘fear God—or care about men’.

She had a situation where she needed the judge to do justice on her behalf.

The judge at first put the woman off- but then he said ‘I better do something- because her continual nagging is driving me up the wall’ [my paraphrase].

Jesus then said ‘see what the judge did- how much more will my heavenly father do for those who come to him’- then he says ‘he will avenge THEM SPEEDILY’.

We often tell the story like this ‘see- God is like the judge- he will defend you’.

Actually Jesus is saying ‘God is not like the judge’.

This judge acted- not out of what was right- but out of pressure- you know- the lobbyist wins.

But God- he does what’s right.


I was thinking about my governor when this verse ‘speedily’ dropped into my head.

During one of the debates Rick Perry used an example- I forget what the whole thing was about- but he said ‘such and such will happen- at the speed of light- literally’.

I think he was talking about Iran coming into Iraq and having more dominance in the region [which by the way he was right about].

But- when you use an example that has ‘the speed of light’ in it- well- it’s usually Figuratively- which just happens to be the opposite of literally- you know- a minor detail.

Okay- I can hear my Jersey friends now ‘wow John- you got one heck of a governor in the Lone Star state’.

Yeah- what can I say?

Maybe this ‘didn’t I see Christie on the boardwalk the other day’?


Let’s let bygones be bygones- deal?


Our timing- what we think is speedily- is not the same time line of God.

There are many texts in the bible that talk about the ‘end of the world’ and ‘the coming of Christ’ and it says it will happen fast.

These verses were penned 2 thousand years ago.

[Actually this is a pretty in depth study- how the church has handled the verses that deal with the End Times.

We call this Eschatology.

There are different views on this- Futuristic- Historical- Preterist.

This entire teaching is worth doing- I have done some over the years.

In a nutshell- some of these verses say ‘at the end of the age’ not ‘world’.

In the Greek language- which the New Testament was written in- the word used is age.

So- they are not always saying ‘the world will end soon’.

But ‘the age’.

What age?

In context- the old age [dispensation] of law- the Old Covenant.

And the New age- the age of Grace- has come.

This debate does have some [lots?] of merit to it- and it ‘solves’ some of the complaints from the critics of Christianity who say ‘Jesus was wrong when he said the end of the world would happen soon’.

In the above context- it did happen soon- see?]


So- we all have requests- we are in a way like the woman going to the judge.

Ask- Knock- don’t quit.

Jesus said ‘men ought always to pray and not to faint’.

Pope John Paul said ‘prayer is strength for the weak’.

James said ‘the continual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much’.


Yeah- whatever the request is- the good judge will do what’s best- not because you’re bugging him nonstop- but because it’s right.




Note- Do me a favor, those who read/like the posts- re-post them on other sites as well as the site you read them on. Thanks- John. Don’t forget to scroll down on the timeline [Facebook] - I have posted lots.







No comments:

Post a Comment